BAGNO VIGNONI


a few km south of San Quirico d'Orcia is Bagno Vignoni,
spa known since ancient times. The Etruscans before and
later the Romans willingly frequented the territory of
Bagno Vignoni and the Romans themselves were the first to develop an idea
healing and social water. In the Middle Ages Bagno Vignoni enjoyed
great fame and illustrious personalities came to cure themselves with his
waters. Saint Catherine stayed there between 1362 and 1367 and to her
the loggia and the chapel in front of the pool are dedicated. Pope Pius
II had it built, in the square of the Springs at the side of the pool,
the Palazzo Piccolomini, characterized by the façade of the first floor
in rusticated travertine and the second floor in smooth travertine and in the
1490 Lorenzo the Magnificent also stopped in Bagno Vignoni doing
use of thermal water to treat his arthritis. The presence of
thermal spring, which guaranteed an abundant flow of water and
perennial and the proximity to the Via Francigena, which lapped the village,
have made Bagno Vignoni a major milling center. They are
witnesses to the medieval pools of the Parco dei Mulini, which dominate the
panorama of the Val d'Orcia.