Place along the Via Francigena, San Quirico has Etruscan origins. The village has developed since the Middle Ages around the Pieve d'Osenna (hence the ancient name of San Quirico in Osenna) and you are modeled on the route of the Via Francigena that crosses longitudinally the country. Enclosed by the walls that preserves a large part of the fourteen towers is marked by an series of architectural monuments of the highest value and different period.
Built starting from 1080 on the remains of the ancient travertine Baptistery white and sandstone, the Pieve di San Quirico in Osenna, today Collegiate Church of the Saints Quirico and Giulitta, represents an extraordinary example Romanesque. The exterior is characterized by the presence of three portals, one of which with prothyrum and telamons dated 1288 and attributed to Giovanni Pisano. The artist himself was probably the author of the bell tower, replaced at the end of the 18th century by the present one.
To complete the facade is a rose window decorated with zoomorphic motifs and vegetable. The plan of the building is in the shape of a Latin cross with a unique aisle. The restoration in 1936 is due to the recovery of the armor polychrome trussed ceiling, characterized by wooden tiles with Sienese ornament. Worthy of note is the dorsal of the choir with inlays
Renaissance woodwork, originally made for the Cathedral of Siena and then purchased from the Marquis Chigi for the Collegiate, and the polyptych of Sano di Pietro, painted in the fifteenth century expressly for the Pieve of San Quirico d'Orcia.
CHIESA OF MADONNA
It was built on the remains of the convent of San Francesco; the new Sanctuary was built between 1867 and 1870. The facade in travertine fillet has one eye over the access door. The interior is unique nave with four side altars. On the high altar is preserved the Madonna Annunciata attributed to Andrea della Robbia
(early sixteenth century), moved from the rural chapel of Vitaleta in the 1870. Among the works are the Annunciante Angel and the Virgin Annunciata,
polychrome wooden statues of Francis of Valdambrino (early 15th century.
CHIESA OF SANTA MARIA ASSUMUNTA
Call commonly of "Sante Marie" or Santa Maria ad Hortos because was surrounded by the gardens that will become the Horti Leonini. located along the Via Francigena. Its construction dates back probably in the second half of the 11th century and consists of a simple and suggestive building in squared travertine stone is with a single nave with a small apse with a small arched crowning and shelves decorated with animal head motifs. The cover is at wooden trusses; it is oriented towards the north-west where it opens a small portal. The most significant part is the portal on the Francigena which reveals numerous similarities with that of the abbey of Sant'Antimo.
PALACE CHIGI ZONDADARI
The imposing Chigi Zondadari Palace was built between 1678 and 1684 by the Cardinal Flavio Chigi to the design of Carlo Fontana, a pupil of the Bernini. The facade of the palace is marked by the neo-sixteenth century. typical of the Roman architect's style. Inside Flavio Chigi wanted a very rich figurative program, giving a more as wide as possible of all the most common motifs of the decorations profane of the period: Seasons, Zodiac Signs, Elements, Arts. At realization of the frescos in the rooms collaborate a team of Roman artists.
Built by Diomedes Leoni in the sixteenth century, this park presents a beautiful example of an Italian-style garden, partly bordered by the castle walls, with in the centre a statue dedicated to Cosimo III, of
Giuseppe Mazzuoli, from Palazzo Chigi. The boxwood flowerbeds perfectly geometrical enhance the perspective of the garden that ends with a high floor consisting of an English style woodland with a thick
centuries-old holm oaks. A garden named after the one who, Diomede Leoni, crowned the dream of creating a public garden along the Via Francigena to welcome anyone who wants to rest in the shade of the holm oaks. At side of the Horti, which can also be reached from the inside, opens up the Rose garden.
The Castle of Vignoni, located in a dominant position on the panorama of the valley of the Orcia, it results around the year one thousand among the possessions of the Abbey of Sant'Antimo and later, towards
on 1170, the Counts Tignosi of Tentennano took control. In 1362 the castle, with the baths of Vignoni, then under the rule of the Salimbeni, was destroyed by the Sienese and their allies. Montalcinese. The tower of the Cassero was rebuilt later by the Sienese with the income from Montalcino. Afterwards the castle became the possession of the Amerighi counts from whom it passed to the Marquis Chigi who still own it. The canonical church of Romanesque style located inside the Castle is dedicated to St. Biagio.